Monday, August 8, 2011

Strawberry Galette ~

Yummy Food | Inspiration

I decided to re-post this after I made it this weekend for friends, and it was just as yummy as I had remembered it. This time, we simply served it with vanilla ice cream...simple, easy and delicious! 

I recently made this yummy Summer dessert for the first time - it was one of those recipes I kept meaning to make but never did. It is from Martha Stewart Living May 2008 (I know, it took over 2 years to make it!)

 Here are the ingredients (Martha's recipe requires making the crust, I went the loser way out and used a refrigerated pie crust):

FOR THE BASIL CREAM (This was not a huge hit)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup mascarpone cheese

FOR THE DOUGH
I used a ready to go pie crust
FOR THE GALETTE 1 pound strawberries, hulled
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Make the basil cream: Combine cream, basil, and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Set bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water, and stir until sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 hours for a more pronounced basil flavor). Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add mascarpone, and whisk until medium peaks form. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 hours.

I simply unrolled my pie crust onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then I cut the strawberries lengthwise into slices.
 Then toss slices with 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch, and immediately arrange them in concentric circles on dough. Start 1 inch from edge, overlapping slices slightly (as you can see, I started the outside edge into a circle and then just piled the rest in the center - I know loser way).

 Fold edge of dough over berries. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
 Whisk together yolk and water. Brush dough with the egg wash, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Dot berries with butter. Bake until crust is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.

 We served it room temperature and it was great. It pretty much tasted like strawberry jam in a pie crust - I mean how could you really go wrong with strawberries, sugar and crust! The basil infused cream was not a huge hit, next time I will simply combine the cream, sugar and mascarpone.

Linked to:
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots and Jello

2 comments:

Beatrice said...

Oh, how appetizing. I must really try your recipe.

Unknown said...

Mmm, this is really good! I've had the privilege of tasting this recipe made by the famous Chelsea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails