Monday, December 6, 2010

Handmade Ornament - Pine Cone ~

I was thrilled to participate in Stephanie Lynn's Handmade Ornament series. Here is my ornament...

When I  was out looking for inspiration I spotted an ornament that totally inspired me and I thought would be perfect for this series. Here are the materials you will need:
  • 6" Styrofoam Cone
  • Decoart Elegant Finish Metallic Paint in Champagne Gold
  • Martha Stewart Smoky Quartz Glitter 
  • Silver Glitter
  • About 25-30 Faux Petals - preferably with wire (I used roses)
  • Round Bead
  • Thin Ribbon or Tinsel Cord
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Ribbon (optional)
I purchased the cone from Michaels for $2.99 and everything else I had on hand.
I started by painting each petal Champagne Gold.

And while they were still wet, I added the glitter (I simply mixed both glitters together in a small bowl).

And laid them out to dry overnight.

I did the same to the styrofoam cone and to the center section from one of my faux flowers - 

Once the petals were dry, I realized they needed a little glitter on the back side as well. So a little more paint and a little more glitter - I seriously think glitter is embedded in my eyebrows!

Now it was time to assemble the ornament. I started at the top of the foam and inserted the center section from one of the roses.

I then started added each petal by inserting the wire into the foam and hot gluing the petal in place.

I simply added rows and made sure the petals were overlapping one another.


Once at the top of the ornament I hot glued on a hanger I made with a bead and a piece of tinsel cord.


Here it is completely glittered, petaled and hanging.

But now it was time for some fluffing - this is where the wired petals come in handy. I simply started bending and shaping each petal to give it an organic look...kind of pine cone-esque!

I then added a little bow to top it off! I love how it turned out - I really love the combination of the organic shape, the glittery layers and the elegant ribbon (and I totally heart that it only cost me $2.99 since everything else I had on-hand).


(My Christmas tree was not up yet, so please excuse my half garland for presentation purposes!)


16 comments:

jandjhome said...

This is beautiful.

Andrea said...

That is a really gorgeous ornament! Beautiful job.

Linda said...

Absolutely! Beautiful!! AND clever!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!

Artnova said...

Przepiękna i pomysłowa dekoracja. Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow, that is gorgeous, Chelsea! I dealt with glitter this weekend myself, also on cones, but my daughter and I just glittered them to be trees.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it! really nice.
Hmmm: I might try with green leaves and stick in those little red holly berries!
And yes, glitter is essential!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Simple and beautiful!

PammyJ said...

seriously gorgeous!
Pammy

Unknown said...

I love this so much! The brown ribbon and glitter make the project! I'm featuring it today on my blog.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Rachel
http://www.holy-craft.blogspot.com

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I have been wanting to do some sort of hand made ornaments and this is exactly what I was looking for...just didn't know until I saw it!

Thanks for sharing your great, and gorgeous, ornament.

Nancy

p/s I just added to you my sidebar. Hope you'll do the same!

Terrell said...

Absolutely love this!! So creative and it looks just beautiful for the season! Way to go, girly!!
Holiday hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Mage said...

Its so pretty i like it! It looked seven more stunning with that lovely ribbon. Now I'm thinking of making some with a little twist. Thanks for this post and I've got a lovely idea. Enjoy the season!

druid account for sale

Krista@RustikChic said...

So beautiful! You never cease to impress me.;) Love it!

EMBELLISH said...

Simply beautiful and a clever idea!!!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I think glittery is essential in Christmas decor, although my family would probably disagree, because of it's sticking power after the season is looooong over.
I adore the chocolate bow that you adorned your pine cone with. It's nice to have such a variety of rich colors to choose from for our decorating
I'm finally getting around to decking the halls of my home.
we'll be cutting our Christmas tree from the backyard this weekend when my college boy is home. That's sure way to get us in a festive mood.
Do you like playing Christmas music while decorating? For me the music brings a wonderful scent of the season to the air, as does the aromas of baking.

It's good to be back, I hope you get a chance to stop by for a visit.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails