Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Vegetable Casserole ~

I made this yummy casserole as a side for dinner this week and it was a hit with the whole family...I mean the kiddos inhaled it! So I thought I would share the recipe from Food & Wine magazine. 

 Ingredients:
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced 
1 large garlic clove, minced 
1 teaspoon thyme leaves 
1/2 pound plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick 
2 small zucchini (1/2 pound), sliced on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick 
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese 
 
 
As for the directions, it is really a layering act:
Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch baking dish with olive oil. Spread the potatoes in the dish in an even layer; drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. 
In a bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, garlic and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
 
 Arrange two-thirds of the bell pepper mixture over the potatoes and drizzle with oil.
Top with the tomatoes 
 
and the zucchini; drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. 
 
Cover with the remaining bell pepper mixture 
 
and sprinkle with the cheese.

Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 425°. Uncover the casserole and bake for about 20 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender and glazed on top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm. 
 
I will definitely make it again, but the next time I think I might eliminate the tomatoes. We grill veggies pretty much every night in the Summer, so this was a welcome change and something you could do year round. 


15 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow, I'm definitely going to give this a try! I'm always looking for new ways to make veggies and this recipe looks delish.

the cape on the corner said...

this looks delicious, i may try this tonite. do you think green pepper would work? that's all i've got right now. and regular potatoes, not yukon gold? i'm trying to work with what i have...but since i am not experimental with my cooking i don't know what can be substituted out!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Yum! I will have to try that and I love your picture with the display of ingredients! For some reason that just struck me as art!!

Reunion Committee said...

that looks delish! I am definitely making this dish!!!
~Tana

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Sounds super yummy to me! That is awesome that your kids eat vegetables. My husband and oldest son barely touch them.

Tammy@InStitches said...

That looks soooo good. I don't think my son would go near it though.....

A House and Home said...

Since we joined a CSA this year, we are always looking for new ways to use all of our veggies! Thanks for the delicious looking tip.

Momma Rhyne said...

i needed a great dinner idea for tonight!! Thanks.. looks soo yummy. Hope my kiddos love it as much as yours did.

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

Chelsea,

That looks and sounds SO YUMMY! I will have to give it a try this weekend!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Perfect way to use up those summer veggies!
Another Friday's Favorite :-)

Jane said...

This really sounds good. I'm going to give this recipe to my mom. She always gets an abundance of zucchini from friends and is always looking for a good recipe.
Thanks!! Have a great weekend.
Jane

Unknown said...

That looks and sounds delicious, thanks for sharing, Have a sweet weekend!

Val said...

Yum. Looks so perfect!!!

Terrell said...

Oh goodness that just looks deeeelish! I can't wait to give this recipe a try! You could make it for a side with chicken, beef, or it'd even be wonderful by itself! Can't wait!
Hugs!!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I just made this and it is fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails