Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Updated Chandelier ~


 I have always disliked the light fixtures in our kitchen. But before I buy something new, I thought I would try to change them up a bit. Here is our kitchen chandelier before. Boring, a little crooked...just kinda blah.

I decided to start by adding a little paint. I turned to my favorite metallic paint by DecoArt - Glorious Gold - ah yes, you are glorious my dear.

Watch out, this is going to get super technical. I grabbed a paper towel, dipped it into the paint, blotted it off a bit on the plate and began to "faux" the fixture.

Like I said, super technical. Here is the fixture after I applied the gold:
It was way a bit too gold, so I grabbed some black paint and blotted again. 

Now time for the bling. I added a string to the top portion.

And a few hanging crystals to the bottom.

I then decided to cover the chain. I grabbed some left over fabric and my hot glue gun. 

I stood on a chair, and started gluing it together (now, I figure this might not be the best approach, but definitely the easiest and quickest - and I can always just cut it off).


Here it is painted, blinged and wrapped in fabric:

It is looking a bit better, but it still needed a little something. I remembered this piece of trim my Mom and I picked up at Second Use (Salvaged Building Material Store) for $1. It was a little dirty and rusted - just perfect.

I cut it (more or less, bent it until it broke). Then bent the new piece around the top of the fixture. I love that it looked like a little crown.

So, for added a little paint and a few things I had on hand, it is better. I am still not in love, but I will now be able to hold off until I find that perfect fixture. 
 
Before:

After:

Be sure to come on over tomorrow and link up to Be Inspired - the monthly link party - be prepared to show us your best project for the month! 



21 comments:

One Life Many Journeys said...

Ahhhhh! Much better. I thought when I saw the top of the fixture it looked like a crown too.

Unknown said...

Wow, great transformation! Luv the bling!

Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

Wow, that looks very elegant! Good job!

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

LOVE the makeover! That trim is quite the find, so many possibilities...

Best wishes,
Tammy

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

What a great save!! I love that paint. I have it in a bronze color and have used it EVERYWHERE!!! You were very creative as I would never have picked up that crown piece! It is the icing on the cake!!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Wow!! I love it! Looks totally glamorized! Especially with the little crown! LOVE IT!!

Lou Cinda :)

KimMalk said...

Nice job. It's amazing what you did with an ordinary big-box store light fixture :).

Life in Rehab said...

Pffffft, if you aren't in love, I am! Beautifully done.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It turned out great, Chelsea! I have a white light over our table that I've been wondering if I should paint, but the question becomes, "what color?". Then I got a mis-packed box from CSN that was supposed to be a light for my powder room and it's a 3 r 4 am chandelier {that would work for the kitchen}. I need to see if that would work before I start painting anything!

Terrell said...

Oh wow Chelsea! It looks amazing!! I love the attention to detail and the last bit of "crown" trim really sets it off! As usual, great job!!
Have a great day!
Terrell

Momma Rhyne said...

Genius, just genius, I tell you. It looks sooo great!!

Sarah said...

Looks beautiful. Seriously, how did you do that chain cover? With only fabric and a glue gun? It looks amazing. Oh, and where did you get your crystal? I've been wanting to fix mine up but I can't find any crystal other than online!

Thanks for sharing.
Sarah

The Pineapple Room said...

I think it turned out great. I have to make one of those chain covers to, great idea the hot glue gun, I think i'll give that a try.

Suzanne said...

What a fabulous redo. It's a total transformation!

1 Funky Woman said...

Oh, won't you come and do that to mine? I so dislike mine! I love the last detail you added. Queen's always know the finishing touches, lol!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

What a great idea to spruce up your light fixture. The finished product looks fantastic! Great job! I am getting tired of all of our light fixtures so I've been posting them on Craiglist. I just sold our very ornate ceiling fan that came with the house for $80 last week. Yay!

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Great makeover!!! This is my first time here and I am your newest follower!
Bonnie

Wendy said...

GORGEOUS! You have the best ideas!

Vanessa said...

Beautiful result! New here, and now following for more beautiful elegant craft fun.

Reunion Committee said...

Gorgeous Gorgeous!! I love your touches to it!
~Tana

KM Studios said...

Awesome! Its just enought to make that perfect impact!
Love the crown on top - I know thats your thing - Looks great!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails