My son and I were flipping through recipes on my Everyday Food App for dinner ideas, and he instantly decided on Croque Madames (but he called it a grilled cheese with an egg on top)!
It was a bit rainy yesterday, and I must say, this totally fit the bill.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (I cut this back, and used just enough for a super thin spread of butter)
- 16 slices thin white sandwich bread
- 1/4 pound Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread 1/2 teaspoon butter on each bread slice and place 8 slices, butter side down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Divide cheese and ham evenly among slices, season with salt and pepper, and top with remaining bread slices, butter side up. Bake until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes (I had to take mine out a few minutes early before they burned), flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter over medium. Cook 4 eggs until whites are set and yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes; transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining butter and eggs. Top each sandwich with 1 egg. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.